BRIGHT MOMENTS… SINCE 1979
Our VIRGINIA JAZZ website is brought to you by the Richmond Jazz Society, Incorporated (RJS). RJS is a nonprofit corporation (tax exempt under Sec. 501(c)(3) IRC) created to educate the public regarding the historical development and significance of Jazz music, with a special emphasis on young musicians and young audiences; to be a valuable resource/referral and support center for Jazz in the Commonwealth of Virginia; and, to promote the advancement of Jazz as an American art form via activities such as performances, lectures, workshops, and exhibits.
Use our VAJAZZ Menu to stay informed regarding RJS programs and activities.
- Our Celebrated GUEST EDUCATORS CONCERT SERIES occurs each Spring and Fall season. We put you up close and personal with outstanding regional and national artists in an intimate night club setting.
- The LUNCHTIME JAZZ series is sponsored by St. Paul’s Episcopal Church. Enjoy live Jazz and delicious food from area restaurants. Jazz Lunches at St. Paul’s occurs in partnership with RJS.
- The DOMINION JAZZ CAFÉ @ VMFA is one of Richmond’s favorite weekly activities. Each Thursday Jazz lovers come from far and wide to see some of the hottest bands in the area.
- Our OUTREACH PROGRAMS are an essential way of using Jazz as a teaching tool for young audiences and as a healing force for our senior population.
- Through the RJS SCHOLARSHIP program we make annual awards to students who attend a Virginia college or university majoring in Jazz studies.
- The RJS JAZZ PRESERVATION project delves deeply into the history of Jazz in Virginia and provides scholarly programs and activities for all age levels.
We invite you to support RJS by attending our programs and activities, buying RJS branded merchandise, or by simply making a contribution!
Founded in 1979, RJS continues to build upon its initial success by adding innovative performance and educational programs each year. RJS has established a distinctive series of programs and events to serve performers, students, teachers and the existing jazz audience and to expand that audience. In 2008, RJS was one of ten recipients of the prestigious Governor’s Award For The Arts.
You’ve found the right place for the latest information on Jazz around the Commonwealth. It’s all here waiting for you – from the mountains to the ocean… Virginia Loves Jazz!