BRIGHT MOMENTS… SINCE 1979
Our VIRGINIA JAZZ website is brought to you by the Richmond Jazz Society, Incorporated (RJS).
Use our VAJAZZ Menu to stay informed regarding RJS programs and activities.
- Our RJS JAZZ PRESERVATION project, VIRGINIA JAZZ: The Early Years, delves deeply into the history of Jazz in Virginia and showcases the individuals and bands that made a major impact on Jazz worldwide. The exhibit will be on display at The Valentine through April 29, 2018.
- ELLA AT 100! – Join Richmond Jazz Society as we celebrate the 100th birthday of Virginia’s own, Ms. Ella Fitzgerald at The American Theatre in Hampton VA on Sunday, February 25, 2018!
- Our Celebrated GUEST EDUCATORS CONCERT SERIES returns on Tuesday, March 13th at the Capital Ale House Downtown Music Hall with a tribute to saxophonist Joe Henderson presented by the Trey Sorrells Quintet! We put you up close and personal with outstanding regional and national artists in an intimate night club setting.
- The LUNCHTIME JAZZ series is sponsored by St. Paul’s Episcopal Church. Enjoy live Jazz and delicious food from area restaurants. Jazz Lunches at St. Paul’s occurs in partnership with RJS. The Jazz Lunch Series will return in the Spring of 2018.
- The DOMINION JAZZ CAFÉ @ VMFA is one of Richmond’s favorite weekly activities. Each Thursday Jazz lovers come from far and wide to see some of the hottest bands in the area.
- Our OUTREACH PROGRAMS are an essential way of using Jazz as a teaching tool for young audiences and as a healing force for our senior population.
- Through the RJS SCHOLARSHIP program we make annual awards to students who attend a Virginia college or university majoring in Jazz studies.
We invite you to support RJS by attending our programs and activities, buying RJS branded merchandise, or by simply making a contribution!
Founded in 1979, RJS continues to build upon its initial success by adding innovative performance and educational programs each year. RJS has established a distinctive series of programs and events to serve performers, students, teachers and the existing jazz audience and to expand that audience. In 2008, RJS was one of ten recipients of the prestigious Governor’s Award For The Arts.
You’ve found the right place for the latest information on Jazz around the Commonwealth. It’s all here waiting for you – from the mountains to the ocean… Virginia Loves Jazz!